One of the best ways to make sure I’m consistently sticking to a healthy diet is with rewards. Yes, it’s true that nutritious meals are a reward unto themselves. However, when I’m faced with a choice between a tasty nutrient dense meal and one drowning in cheese, it can be a struggle. I do love a lot of cheese!
Therefore, when it comes to making sure I’ll make the right choices, I make rewards something other than food. I can’t in all good conscience reward myself for eating a huge spinach salad by having a bag of chips! The solution is to stop thinking of food as a reward. Food is food. It tastes great and the right choices make for a healthy body, too. Rewards need to come from elsewhere.
These Rewards Make Sticking to a Healthy Diet Easier
Some rewards are so great they not only let me stay motivated to keep up my diet, but they do more, too. Some of them can help me to keep up my exercising as well. These double duty rewards include:
• Buying a new workout outfit – There are few things that can motivate me to do a workout faster than getting myself a new outfit. Even if it’s the same yoga top I already wear but in a new color, the novelty makes me want to use it.
• Getting a new pair of running shoes – For the exact same reason as a new outfit, new running shoes will do the same thing. What I like about shoes is that they can help to improve my performance, too.
• Getting a massage – I absolutely love a good massage. What a fantastic reward for being good at meal time! Even better, when I get a massage, it works out all my muscle aches and pains and it helps me sleep better at night. When it comes to sticking to a healthy diet a massage is a great reward and it makes dieting easier, too.
Great Rewards for Sticking to a Healthy Diet and Reaching Goals
Some rewards are great because they help push you to meet your goals. Consider these ones to excite you enough to keep going.
• Check out a new movie – Head to the local theater and catch that movie you’ve been waiting to see. Make it your reward for sticking to our weight loss strategy. Just go easy on the popcorn or you’ll work against yourself.
• Get a mani/pedi – Pampering yourself with a manicure and/or a pedicure is a fantastic way to celebrate the good you’re doing for your body.
Get a new hairstyle – What better way to polish off how great you look than to get a fresh haircut. You’ll feel like a whole new you. It’s the perfect reward for sticking to a healthy diet.